Jealous ~
Words and Music by Rebecca Friedlander © 2008 ~
You are a Jealous God ~
You will not settle ~
For half my heart ~
You are a Jealous God ~
You will not settle ~
For half my heart ~
So I become a buyer of pure gold ~
Found in the fire ~
And in the flames ~
You refine my heart’s desires ~
I am a seeker ~
I will not settle ~
For half Your heart ~
I am a seeker ~
I will not settle ~
For half Your heart ~
And You become the treasure I search for ~
Everywhere I go ~
And when I find You ~
I’ll hold You and will not let You go ~
You are a jealous God ~
You will not settle ~
For half my heart ~
I am a seeker ~
I will not settle ~
For half Your heart ~
Cause You’re after my heart ~
Like I’m after Your heart... ~
Scripture says, “the LORD has sought for Himself a man after his own heart”, and He found it in the life of a young boy named David. Has His desire changed? Does He not still seek after individuals who will wholeheartedly chase after Him?
This song has two trains of thought, and it’s really helped me allot to put them together. One is the fact that some of us are God and don’t want to settle for crumbs of religion, but want a feast of intimacy: we want a deeper walk with Him. The other is that God passionately desires our hearts and years for all of us. He doesn’t want us “just on Sundays” or just part of our devotion. He wants it all, just as a Lover desires the whole heart.
When I was a teenager, I used to think about how much I wanted God and desired to be close to Him. It seemed to far away and such an unattainable goal. But sometimes the desire was stronger than I could bear. There were a few key people in my life that said, “Rebecca, as much as you want God, HE WANTS to walk with you! It’s not unattainable. He desires it too! Seek after Him with your whole heart because He will give Himself to you in the way you desire. He will fill you, and He wants to.” That was an amazing thought to me.
So, this song aspires to capture that dance of a seeker. God seeking us and us seeking God. The bridge says, “You’re after my heart like I’m after Your heart.” A friend of mine said, “How could my seeking of God ever attain to the measure that He seeks us?” But it’s not about measure… it’s about seeking. The longing that He has for us is the same type of longing that we have for Him. Not in comparison. Probably very few of us would send our son to die like the Father did… though Abraham experienced this very thing. I hope this song will spur us on to seek Him more! Hebrews 11:6
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment