Heart ~
Words and Music by Rebecca Friedlander © 2008 ~
Where has my heart gone ~
Thought I had a hold on it ~
But it ran away again ~
My heart has run away again ~
And I blindly followed ~
It snatched away my writing pen ~
And wrote my tomorrow ~
Chorus ~
Be careful of the theives ~
That walk through unguarded doors ~
Steal the treasure ~
That is Yours ~
Where has my heart gone ~
Thought I could keep it here ~
With bribes and promises ~
I was so wrong ~
Now I’m left standing here ~
With fallen stars and rusted gold~
Looking into my shattered mirror ~
Chorus ~
So, build me ~
Till my house is on a rock ~
And love me ~
Till my heart had enough ~
And I won’t run away ~
Ok, I love this song! It’s haunting melody and such is just cool to me… though a chilly sort of cool, because the theme is such a warning and happens so easily. Unguarded hearts are so quickly invaded. And in this day guarding means standing watch and doing lots of battle in front of the door to your heart. The culture invites war against all that is pure.
The fun part is that I wrote most of this song when I was 12!! And it is the only one that has survived from that era! Grin, I started learning guitar because I got tired of practicing piano and the “funnest” way to play guitar was learn some basic chords and then make up your own. I pulled this out again and wrote a bridge to it. Maybe someday I’ll redo it and rewrite the verses to make them flow a little better. But I thought it would be fun to record it this way first.
If I recall rightly, I wrote the words after watching a very sad episode of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman on TV in the early 90’s… Grin.
Wrote the bridge this year because I think the tendancy people have to “run away” ~at least it’s true for me~ it because A) my foundation is not solid in Christ to where I end up following my emotions instead of what I KNOW is true and will come through long term, or B) because my heart is feeling low on love at the moment. When we are loved, really loved, it gives us the strength to stay. I am learning to pray, at moments of feeling like I should run from what I know to be true, “Lord, let me fall in love with You all over again.” His love keeps me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment